I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Skipping to Summer: Thinking about Internships

Though it's midterm week of fall semester, my friends and I have already discussed plans for the summer. This past summer I worked at Salvation Army hanging up clothing. The  location was nearby, the hours were good, and the work was easy, so no major complaints there. I am even thinking that I'll be return to this position over winter break so I can make some money for study abroad next year. However, I am hoping to do something different next summer. I would really like an internship. Creative Writing majors, like most majors, don't all end up in the same field, and it's not always as obvious how to make this study into a career. I think it's especially important for me, then, to get experience in possible career paths. 

One advantage I have in the internship search is that I live near Harrisburg. Being by the capital gives me more opportunities than I might have elsewhere. Already I've found two really interesting internship opportunities.

One company is looking for a Communications Intern. The position would involve with marketing and media relations. Though I am not a Communications major, the writing skills I'm cultivating through my major can definitely be helpful in that field. I also work for Susquehanna's University Communications office, so I have some experience. Completing this internship may give me some more insight on whether or not I am interested in pursuing communications professionally.

The second internship I found was at an archive. Archival work and library science are fields that are often associated with each other. Because of my interest in librarianship, I have stumbled upon, and been intrigued by, information on archival careers. One job I find interesting is that of a digital archivist. The only way to know if I'd really like archival work, though, is to do it. This internship could provide a great opportunity to explore a career path that I might not get to really consider otherwise.

I'm only at the beginning of my search, though. I'm sure if I found these two great opportunities, I can find a lot more! Once I have my list, I'll begin working on resumes, cover letters, and applications. I think I will take advantage of the Center for Career Services before I send any materials to companies. I have yet to use this resource on campus, but this would be the perfect time; I want to give myself the best chance possible for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment