I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

An Ode to Good Cafeteria Food

I will not lie to you, blog readers, and say that college cafeteria food equals culinary greatness. It's even harder for me because I am notorious for being a picky eater. However, even for my very particular self, there are foods that make lunches at the cafeteria worthwhile. Mostly, the following:
  • Mac and cheese. I used to be really picky about the type of mac and cheese I ate, but I am glad I had the courage to set aside my picky eater habits for some of Susquehanna's delicious mac and cheese.
  • Bread sticks. I'm always so excited whenever I see them and tend to get three. It's a perfect side dish to whatever I'm having!
  • The right kind of fries. The caf serves a variety of fries, and people tend to have their favorites. I've definitely gotten into debates for praising one kind of fry and denigrating the other.
  • Cheese lasagna. Again, I'm a really picky eater, and lasagna isn't something I ate a lot at home. I'm glad I shook that up a little here because I love when they have at lasagna.
  • These really good sugar cookies. Now, they don't appear too often in the cafeteria desserts section, but when they do, their deliciousness makes my day--or week.
  • We also have good ice cream. A few times last semester I would take a cone for my walk from the student center to the science center. Writing about it is making me really wish I got some today.
Another great meal to have at the caf is Sunday brunch (I can't comment on breakfast since I can't wake myself up that early). I admit, I'm mostly a fan of the bacon, but they offer an array of breakfast and lunch foods.

For dinner, you'll usually find me at Benny's, which is in the student center basement and you can order your meal. I typically get a chicken caesar wrap (but with ranch dressing), fries, and a water, but sometimes I'll have chicken tenders or a slice of pizza.

Even though I do have my food favorites, I doubt anyone would say the best aspect of meals at college is the food. Even when eating on-campus seems to pale in comparison to dining options at home, it does have that great element: time, everyday, that you can set aside to connect with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment