I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Monday, April 2, 2012

Study Abroad, Service, and a Trip to the Opera

I can't believe how little I posted in March! Sorry about that!

I don't think I have much that's particularly exciting to share. I've made substantial progress on the filling-out-study-abroad forms front which is a relief. I've turned in my paperwork about the courses I want to take abroad, and I've also submitted my program contract, deposit, and a scholarship application to the program provider, IFSA-Butler. It's so strange that this semester is almost over and that next semester I won't be here at Susquehanna.

I am being completely honest when I say I love this school. This Saturday was Accepted Students Day, and as part of a service project for Alpha Phi Omega, I got to help out with this day for a little. I was directing foot traffic and pointing people out to specific buildings. A girl approached me looking for the Admissions Office. Before she followed my directions, she introduced herself and told me--beaming--that she was about to hand in her deposit. I was so excited for her.

While I didn't decide to come to SU right on Accepted Students Day, I had left feeling confident that Susquehanna would be a great choice for me. I also reconnected with a girl from the summer Writers' Workshop for high schoolers that day, and she ended up being my roommate freshman year!

I also got to do some other service this weekend. A nearby church has a preschool, and they were putting on an art show this weekend. I went with some of my other brothers to take down the artwork. Sunday, after chapel and brunch, I joined up with Alpha Phi Omega brothers again to pick up trash around Selinsgrove--our attempt to clean up after our fellow SU students. I've discovered that I really enjoy these serviec projects where I feel like I'm physically getting things done. They can get repetitive, but it feels very productive and as if my work is needed.

Another fun part of this weekend was going to see an opera on campus with my friend Karen. The opera was called Die Fleidermaus and was performed by Susquehanna students. I was amazed by the vocal talent on display! It was also fun because I had never seen an opera before so it was great to have that new experience.

Now I only have a four-day week before I can go home for Easter which is definitely exciting. The only not so exciting part is how little of the semester will be left when we come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment