I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spring Break Recap

Many Susquehanna students could tell you riveting spring break stories .Some people from InterVarsity Christian Fellowship went to Chicago, for instance. Other groups on campus did charitable work in New Jersey and Florida. I was very happy, however, to spend March 1st through 10th at home. It felt important for me to take that time at home since I might be staying in Selinsgrove this summer to work.

Much of my break was spent relaxing and sleeping. I even got to do some leisure reading. I read a book that I received for free from a vocations workshop here at Susquehanna called Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation. I also started reading an introductory book to philosophy of religion that is really fascinating.

One of the most exciting elements of my break was the drive home! I have probably never chronicled it on this blog, but when it comes to driving, I am a very late bloomer. I didn’t get my license until this September, less than a week  before I went abroad. Because I’ll most likely be living on-campus this summer, I want to feel confident about driving from Selinsgrove to home. When my dad came to pick me up this break, he let me drive back. We both survived, so that’s a victory in my book.

I also went to see my high school’s production of Into the Woods. Susquehanna actually did Into the Woods this fall. It’s one of my favorite musicals, so I was disappointed that I missed it while I was abroad. It was nice to get a chance to see it on stage, though I didn’t know many of the performers. Overall, it was a really enjoyable performance.

It made me think back to my high school theater days. I was in three musicals and two plays during high school, and I got a bit nostalgic since I don’t do any theater here. I would really love to do a show again one day, even if I can’t imagine cramming theater into my time here at Susquehanna! 

Besides feeling nostalgic, I also felt a bit awkward. There’s something strange about going back to that high school environment. My high school started major renovations my senior year of high school that didn’t get completed until after I graduated, so the lobby and auditorium look very different. That probably adds somewhat to the unsettled feeling. It’s also a bit strange running into people I knew from high school that I don’t talk to regularly. It seems weird to ask someone how they are when both of you know so little about each other’s current lives.

Speaking of people from high school, I did get two chances to hang out with friends from high school who are still a part of my life. Susquehanna’s spring break was a bit earlier than some other colleges, but two of my friends got home during my last weekend of break. My friend Bev and I got brunch together at a nearby diner, then watched some Teen Mom 2 and Made together at my house. I was able to meet up with another friend for pizza. We also ended up watching TV—Amish Mafia, which was outrageously fake.

I got to do some shopping as well. A lot of my jeans have torn recently, so I bought three new pairs at the mall. Some of my shoes were also falling apart, so I got two new pairs of shoes over break. I also bought a few things to prepare for my new Little’s initiation into the coed service fraternity I belong to, Alpha Phi Omega. I went to the movies with my parents, as well, which was fun.

Overall, it was a nice break. It wasn’t too eventful, but that’s probably just what I needed after a stressful first half of the semester! I’ll admit, I would’ve been quite fine with break going just a few days longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment