I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Rivercraft, Grouplove, and Bongo Bongo Dip--An Overview of the Past Few Days

The past few days have been quite busy, but some fun and exciting things happened that I feel like sharing!

Last night was the launch of one of the main on-campus literary magazines, Rivercraft, which was exciting since I had my poem, “Wings,” published in it. I submitted to the magazine both my freshman and sophomore years, but this was my first year getting into the magazine. I was one of the students who read at the launch. I don’t know why I find it so nerve-wracking to read my poetry in front of other people, but it was—even though I had already read this poem previously at an open mic of a university poetry society while I was abroad. I now have a copy of the magazine, and I’m excited to be able to look through the work of my peers when I have the time.
The night before, Sunday, I joined the honor society for Religion students, Theta Alpha Kappa. Because the Religion major is small, the society itself is also very small, so we didn’t have a big initiation like some other honor societies have. Instead, we had something that I think was preferable. The new members, as well as the one previously inducted member, went to dinner with two members of the religion faculty.

We went to BJs, which is probably the most popular restaurant in downtown Selinsgrove. Students go there a lot, but I had actually never been there before. Everyone was astounded that it was my first time and made sure that we ordered Bongo Bongo dip, one of BJ’s signature foods, as an appetizer. It was delicious, as was the Club Chicken Sandwich I ordered. During the dinner, we were given certificates of membership for Theta Alpha Kappa. While we there, the university’s president, President Lemons, also happened to be at BJs for a dinner. He stopped by and congratulated us. All in all, it was really nice to be able to have this dinner (which was free—always a big plus for a college student) with some of my fellow Religion majors and two of my professors whose classes I really enjoy.
After the dinner, a friend and I headed over to Susquehanna’s spring concert at TRAX, the campus night club. The band performing was Grouplove, who is most known for their song “Tongue-Tied.” We missed the opening act, but I’m very glad that we went anyway. I didn’t know most of Grouplove’s songs, but I was very impressed with them and enjoyed myself a lot. It was also a free show for Susquehanna students, which made it even better.

On Saturday I was a small group leader in Lutheran Youth Day, an annual event where Lutheran middle and high school students visit campus to study the Bible, worship, etc. This was my third year volunteering at Lutheran Youth Day and it was a fun experience, just like the two previous years. It was also exhausting since the day runs from about 10 a.m. to past 5 p.m. In addition to leading a small group of high school students, I was also a part of a skit with a religious life group called Acts 29 that does drama and children’s ministry.
Other than some fun events here and there, it’s that time of semester where there’s just a ton of work! Hopefully that won’t get too heavy and I’ll be able to enjoy the last few weeks as a college junior.

No comments:

Post a Comment