I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, March 18, 2011

Collaboration

I will admit that some part of me, a rather dominant part, wished group work would be over by the time I got to college, but I've learned that's not necessarily the case.  I'm not too huge of a fan of group work for a variety of reasons.  I have a very stereotypical writer personality in that I enjoy working independently and am somewhat introverted, and I can also be a bit controlling.  I also tended to be the person who got stuck with most of the work.  It'll be interesting, with group projects coming up this semester, to see how any of that differs in college.     

One requirement of the Central Curriculum is a Team Intensive Course.  I'm happy I fulfilled this in my first semester through Intro to Fiction, which is team intensive due to its workshop focus.  However, that doesn't mean the rest of my classes will suddenly stop using collaboration.

In my Thought & Civilization: Romantic Novels class, I am presenting a project today that we had to do in pairs. Fortunately, I was able to pair up with my friend Lindsey.  It has actually been nice doing this together because we were able to split up the work whereas having this all due myself might have sent me into a state of complete chaos.  I think--or hope--we will be able to complement each other well as we present later today.  

I have two big upcoming group projects as well, one in Principles of Sociology and the other in Applied Biblical Ethics.  Both projects are actually somewhat similar.  In Principles of Sociology, we have to take a look at a social problem--through a sociological lens, of course.  For Applied Biblical Ethics, we'll be examining an ethical issue, um, in light of Biblical Ethics--surprise!  Both of these projects have to culminate in some sort of presentation, creative if possible.  I really hope that these projects go well and that my groups have good dynamics.

No comments:

Post a Comment