I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Belfast: Part 1

Belfast!
Though I spent my semester abroad in a town instead of a major city, I did get quite a few opportunities to travel to the capital of Northern Ireland, Belfast.

My first experience there was for my orientation. I took a flight from Newark, New Jersey to the Belfast International airport. This was far from a highlight of my semester. I got sick on the plane, so I started out my Northern Ireland experience changing into fresh clothes in the airport, feeling tired, confused about where to go and honestly kind of miserable. . The Belfast International Airport is some distance outside the city of Belfast, so I had to take a cab to the hotel where I’d be meeting a staff member of my program for orientation. I had never gotten a cab before and was a bit nervous about that. Of course, that wasn’t hard at all since there was an area where cabs were waiting for people departing the airport. I remember sitting in the backseat and looking out the window at the beautiful green landscape. I was really there, in Northern Ireland—and I would be staying  there for a whole semester.

When I got to my hotel in Belfast, they told me that I wouldn’t be able to check in. I was, at that point, alone and exhausted (It was 9-something in the morning, maybe,  and I wouldn’t be meeting with someone from my study abroad program until around lunchtime), and that was just about the last thing I wanted to hear. Thankfully, I was able to clear up the misunderstanding and settle into my hotel room.
Because I took an overnight flight and hadn’t slept at all, I was way too tired to take full advantage of my orientation in Belfast, which was only me and my staff worker from IFSA-Butler. I was their only student that semester going to the University of Ulster. This meant the orientation was fairly low-key. My staff worker took me to a shopping area of Belfast. I bought a pay-to-go phone in one of the shopping centers and some towels from Primark, a department store that was in every major city I went to and that I came to love. We also went into a market with a lot of artsy products and different foods. I got tea while I was there—first of many teas I would drink in Northern Ireland; this is notable for me because I was not at all a tea drinker before I went abroad.

We also went to the Titanic Museum. This is a major tourist attraction in Belfast, which is the city where the Titantic was made. The parts of the museum I found most interesting were the replicas of the rooms passengers on the Titanic stayed in, depending by class. They also had costumes from the Titanic movie on display. Even though I’m not such a huge fan of the movie, it was still pretty cool to see the actual costumes Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet wore.  
This first time in Belfast was probably when the fashion differences between the United States and Northern Ireland hit me the most. This was most noticeable when it came to guys. Guys at the University of Ulster-Coleraine do dress differently than guys at Susquehanna, but guys in Belfast dress much more differently. They looked very European—much more attentive to fashion, more styled and less casual than American guys. The outfits of the younger guys, especially, reminded me of the boy band One Direction.

The staff person from IFSA-Butler was going to show me more of Belfast, but I was incredibly tired by dinnertime. We grabbed pizza, headed back to the hotel, and left the next day for Coleraine. It would’ve been pretty disappointing if my only time in Belfast had been in a post-travel whirlwind (I didn’t even get around to taking any pictures), but I thankfully had other opportunities to go to Belfast. Look forward to those in future posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment