I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The "Study" in Study Abroad

If you go back through my blog entries from my freshman and sophomore years, you’ll see that I wrote a lot about the different courses I had each semester. While I was abroad, I didn’t keep this blog up to date about my academics, so I thought I’d use this post to reflect on the courses I had while I was abroad. An easy enough feat since I only had three classes: History of Magic and Witchcraft in Early Modern Britain and Ireland, Love Poetry, and From the Vote to the Pill: Twentieth Century Women Writers.

In History of Magic, I learned that Ireland had really low rates of witchcraft trials compared to Scotland and England. These low prosecution rates didn’t necessarily correlate to lack of magical belief, though. Often, Celtic areas, such as Ireland, that did not have very fervent witch-hunts still had strong belief in magic. Some places that emphasized belief in malevolent fairies, for instance, saw less need to blame misfortunes on witches; this was particularly true for the Highlands of Scotland. Some areas also believed in more benign versions of witches, such as “butter witches,” which usually only did smaller evils like messing with crops, and in the evil eye, which was when someone’s glance (usually unintentionally) cursed someone.

As a Religion major, I was interested in the religious component of witchcraft belief. In particular, the demonic view of witchcraft focused on a witch’s pact with the devil. In witchcraft trials, those prosecuted were sometimes made to say the Lord’s Prayer as a test. Not being able to say the Lord’s Prayer was a sign of that pact with the devil. Some clergy seemed to believe it was necessary to uphold witchcraft belief in order to sustain a supernatural worldview that allowed for the existence of God. While some churches took on the main responsibility for prosecuting witches, it’s also interesting to note that some churches discouraged witch-hunts. For example, some churches would decrease the amount of witchcraft accusations by charging the accuser with slander, rather than going after the witch. Protestant-Catholic conflict could also be seen in witch-hunts, since suspected witches, particularly in England, were often “papists,” or Catholics, being accused by Protestant officials or neighbors. 

Love Poetry gave an overview of different periods and kinds of love poetry, including ancient, Victorian, marital, and Sapphic. The best part of this class was the exposure I received to all different sorts of poetry. One poet I was introduced to during the class was D.H. Lawrence. I went on to read his collection of love poetry on my own, which I really enjoyed. I hope to go back to some of the other poets I liked when I have more free time to read. For this course, we had seminars where we discussed in closer detail the poetry we read. One of my favorite aspects of this course was preparing for seminars with my friend Zoe. We would choose a poem to focus on and discuss it together, and I feel like we really learned a lot from each other.

From the Vote to the Pill: Twentieth Century Women Writers was probably my most interesting course. In that class, we looked at the work of female writers through the twentieth century, and even into the present-day, through a feminist interpretive lens. One of the books we read was Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, which I absolutely loved. I think, in this course, I did the academic work of the semester that makes me most proud. For my first essay, I wrote about Margaret Atwood’s novel Surfacing and its portrayal of a crisis of masculinity, and for my second essay, I wrote about Bella’s quest for family and Edward as a father-figure in Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight.

While the courses—or “modules,” in keeping with the terms used at the University of Ulster—fell a bit short of my expectations, probably because I’m used to Americans’ more active class participation, I got a chance to study a lot that I wouldn’t have learned about otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment