I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Life in 18th Street Commons


The complex's common room
This year I am living in an on-campus townhouse with two of my friends. The townhouse complex are called 18th Street Commons. Residence Life has been referring to these houses as “transitional housing” since they are designed to help upperclassmen adjust to life after college. I think these houses are a great option for college seniors. So far I am loving my experience.

Most of Susquehanna’s campus is on one side of University Avenue. 18th Street Commons is on the other side, which houses fewer campus buildings. It is also home to the Writers’ Institute, the art studio, our Natural Sciences Center, and one residence hall, North Hall. However, most of campus—the majority of academic buildings, all the other residential buildings, the gym, library, campus center, etc.—is located across the road. The location of 18th Street Commons contributes to the feeling that it’s a step removed from typical campus life. At the beginning of the year, as my friends and I took the crosswalk across the street and headed down the sidewalk path to 18th Street Commons, I often made jokes about entering “upperclassmen world.” There is certainly truth to that, since most people in 18th Street Commons are juniors or seniors.  


The townhouse complex itself doesn’t look like campus housing. As someone who has lived in townhouses before, it reminds me of past neighborhoods. The insides don’t look like dorms either. Instead, they look much more like homes. Each 18th Street Commons townhouse has a living room, a kitchen (with a full-sized refrigerator and oven!), and a small dining area, in addition to bedrooms. Carpeting in the bedrooms and accent walls on the downstairs level contribute to the homey feeling.


Of course, the quality of your experience with on-campus housing often depends on the people with whom you’re living. I’m so happy I get to spend my senior year living with two of my closest friends on campus.I have a feeling I’ll be very emotionally attached to the house by the time I have to leave it in May. Because my friend and I lived in it while working here over the summer, I’ll have been in it for close to a full calendar year, rather than just an academic year; it's already full of fond memories and I'm just about 25% done with senior year. Plus, it’s so cozy! I doubt any apartment I’d be able to afford after graduation (assuming I’d be able to afford moving out of my parents’ place at all) would be as nice as our townhouse.


Check out 18th Street Commons on Susquehanna’s Virtual Campus tour to get a sense of what I mean: http://www.susqu.edu/tour/?marker=7282. 

No comments:

Post a Comment