I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, October 18, 2013

"Why You?"

Why you? 

Why you instead of some other honors student with a great GPA and extracurricular activities?

These were the types of questions posed at my on-campus interviews for postgraduate fellowships. The fellowships I applied to--the Rhodes scholarship, the Mitchell scholarship, and a Fulbright grant--would all allow me to pursue graduate work abroad with full funding. All three fellowships are competitive, and tackling the application process felt like a long and stressful process.

This process began last spring semester when I went to talk to our postgraduate adviser, Dr. Fourshey, about possibly applying for a Mitchell scholarship (to earn a one-year masters degree in Ireland) and a Fulbright award. There are Fulbright grants available in multiple countries, so I had to narrow it down to the award I wanted. I was drawn to a program in Finland and a program in Scotland, but decided, ultimately, to apply for the award in Aberdeen, Scotland.

This summer, while I stayed on campus to work for University Communications, I got a start on these applications, but not as much of a start as I probably should have. There was still a lot of personal statement writing and editing to do once the school year started–as well as securing recommendation letters!

When I was talking to one of my professors about my plans for these fellowships, he strongly suggested I apply for the Rhodes scholarship. It felt like a long-shot, but at his recommendation, I decided to give it a chance anyway. I am very much a believer in the There’s no harm in applying maxim. Of course, I didn’t have as much prepared for the Rhodes as I had the awards I’d been planning on applying to for months. I had to do my research, write more, and get some additional recommendation letters.

On top of having to get these applications completed, I also had to do an on-campus interview for each of the three fellowships. These interviews were conducted by our postgraduate adviser and other faculty and staff members. The main purpose of these interviews was to help our adviser write a letter of endorsement for us. For all these fellowships, an applicant needs the approval of their university to really be considered for the award. The interviews also served as a time to get feedback on how our proposals are perceived and as a way to practice for the interviews we might get if we make it to the semi-finalist or finalist rounds of the application processes.

The question of “Why you?” was really at the heart of all these interviews—and I’ll admit, it was a consistent challenge to answer.

For all three awards, I’m looking at masters programs related to religious studies and theology that would serve as preparation for a Ph.D. and an eventual teaching career. They could also lead to work in church or non-profit leadership. I feel capable and well-suited for all three programs and believe I’m a great student….but still wasn’t sure why I should get the awards over anyone else.

Through this process, though, I have gained some insight into that “Why you?’ question. During the Rhodes application process, for instance, one of my professors helped me realize something unique I can bring to the table as a theologian: my perspective on evangelicalism. Many people are solely interested in bashing or defending evangelicalism, but I am of a small circle that is interested in engaging constructively with evangelicalism. He also helped me see the broader context in which my work in that area might be important. Evangelicalism is a significant demographic in terms of Christianity and in terms of America, and evangelical theology has a tremendous impact on the political, social, etc. choices of its adherents.  Through my other applications and interviews, I began seeing some of the ways I’ve been a leader on campus. While I may not have racked up many titled leadership roles, one professor helped me see the ways I’ve functioned as a leader in the classroom. I’ve also come to realize some of the ways I’ve exhibited moral leadership. The comments and questions at the Fulbright interview also helped me articulate my personal passion and connection with the topic I'd be exploring in church history. 

From the beginning of the application process, our postgraduate advisor has mentioned how many students feel as if they know more about their selves and what they want for their futures after going for these awards, whether they win  or not. I am hoping that this consideration of the “Why you?” question, and the reflection it has prompted, will be of some use to me, whether or not I receive any of these fellowships.

I am grateful that now these applications are all finished. It felt very hectic while I was working on them, but things got done! Now I just need to work on my U.S. grad school applications (a post about that will be coming in the future) and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment