I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Minors!

I've been lucky to come to SU with a clear idea of what I wanted to major in: Creative Writing.  Unlike a lot of people, I'm not struggling with trying to decide what I want to study.  I am, however, considering what topics might merit minors.

Right now I'm a part of the Honors Program, which takes up a position of a minor.  I plan on adding at least one more minor.  Right now I'm thinking about adding an Editing & Publishing minor.  This minor is of practical interest to me, since as a Creative Writing major, one of the probable fields I'll look into for employment is publishing.  When I first started looking into the publishing of my own pieces, I discovered that I was interested in the industry itself, beyond merely a potential career as a writer.  I've also found, through critiquing in Introduction to Fiction, that I do have some skill at looking closely at a piece, ripping it apart, and having something valuable to say.

Another minor I'm considering is Religion.  I've yet to take a Religion course here at SU since I didn't get to form my first semester schedule.  However, I signed up for Applied Biblical Ethics not only because of my interest in the individual course, but to get an idea of the department as a whole.  I suspect I will probably end up adding this minor but 3 minors seems like an awfully lot.  Particularly, I'm interested in studying both Religion and Creative Writing since I hope to find a way to incorporate them. 

Perhaps the Honors Program will fall to the wayside.  Perhaps something differently will happen altogether.  Perhaps I'll be so enthusiastic about my religion courses that I'll want to double major.

There really is so much here at Susquehanna that I want to study.  I can only hope I have time to fit it all in!    

No comments:

Post a Comment