I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Monday, January 24, 2011

Posters: A Dorm Room Essential


A blurry picture of my poster
At the beginning of the year, my dorm room was a bit disgraceful, lacking in something quintessential and collegiate—posters.   

I didn’t happen upon any that struck me as just right, and I was very much set on finding the perfect posters.  Not any cliché Audrey Hepburn/Marilyn Monroe/James Dean kind of thing.  Something representative of me, though so representative that, say, my Jonas Brothers interest might scare away potential friends.  I couldn't even find something when the poster fair came to SU.       
On a weekend shopping trek, I finally came across what was to be my First College Poster—a Disney Princess poster from WalMart.  One of the jokes among my friends, particularly earlier in the year, was that I can be a Disney Princess sometimes, so obviously I felt called to it.  Even now, many discussions come back to Disney.  My friend Lindsey and I spent a whole lunch rehashing what Disney characters all our friends would be.  I’m Snow White, by the way.  Accidentally, I grabbed a different Disney Princess poster than the one I saw on the rack, but luckily I ended up preferring the one I purchased. 

I didn’t get my next poster until Winter Break.  It’s a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows poster and far from perfect.  I often lament how it minimizes Ron Weasley, who is so much more important than the movies and commercials would lead one to believe.  Still, it’s a great representation of my interests.  At heart, and truthfully at the surface, I am quite the Harry Potter fangirl.

Also featured on my walls are a colored-in princess, deemed Princess Megan, from a Saturday afternoon early in the year, spent with coloring books and a few friends in the lounge.  My tack board features a photo of Darren Criss, printed out for me some months ago by my lovely roommate Sarah.  If you’re not in the know (but if you know me, I’m sure you are), Darren Criss is the star of YouTube hits A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel and is a relatively new cast member of Glee.   Additionally, I have a drawing with my name on it from one of my best friends at home.  
Typing up this post, it really is clear to me that your walls can reveal a lot about you.

Unfortunately, I don’t have enough wall space to reveal quite as much as I might like.  One of the things about Hass is that the rooms vary in size.  My room is on the smaller, a.k.a. smallest, side and requires bunked beds for space, which means sacrificing room for posters.  Other rooms in Hass provide ample opportunity for self expression, however.  For example, my friends Lindsey and Alexis seem to have posters on every inch of wall.  Their poster count must dwarf my room’s dinky total of two.  However, I think it’s just enough to let people know what I am: a Harry Potter loving princess.
Okay, well, maybe that’s not me exactly
But that must describe some part of me, at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment