I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, January 28, 2011

Study Abroad--Further Consideration

I spent a previous post considering my options for study abroad, but I’ve felt inclined to come back to the issue.  In one sense,this may be repetitive, but I think it also reflects reality.  It’s an issue that continues to come up in my thoughts and conversation among friends.

Previously, I considered Budapest or Prague, but new options seem to keep presenting themselves for more serious consideration.

For example, I hadn’t really considered the Netherlands, but now I’m looking at it as a very viable option, specifically Leiden.  The Netherlands seems like it would be a place of significantly different culture.   I would have to do some work on learning another language, Dutch.  The program I’m looking at has an intensive, two-week Dutch course upon arrival.  From the sounds of it, however, most people speak English. 

Language barriers have definitely been a consideration of mine.  Out of curiosity, as well hoping to stumble upon inspiration for my own blog, I’ve examined blogs of Susquehanna study away students.  These are linked to from the SU website.  While all the experiences seem positive, I’ll have to admit I was scared off some locations by hearing how overwhelming the language barriers are.  Taking that chance to leave Susquehanna for a whole semester will be overwhelming enough without struggling so much in my interactions.

Even with so many exciting options, there’s this nagging fear of going away for a semester.  It makes me wonder if I really should be looking at short programs more carefully.  I don’t want to miss what’s going on at SU!  Though I guess it’s not really missing as much as it is exchanging.  While I may not get a semester’s worth of Selinsgrove memories with my friends here, I will get a semester of memories elsewhere.

A semester of European memories.  A semester of memories in the Netherlands, perhaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment