I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Monday, November 14, 2011

College Firsts Aren't Over Yet

Though it's my sophomore year, I feel far from done with college firsts. Recently, I got to have a college first that's not quite so exciting--my first trip to the Health Center. On Wednesday night, I experienced some chest pain. It subsided a lot, instead replaced by a dull ache or tightness. When I still felt a bit off Thursday, I knew it was time to make an appointment at the Health Center. It was a little bit nervewracking, to be honest. As a college student, I'm supposted to start being responsible and doing adult things, but I hate talking on the phone and making appointments. Still, I set up an appointment and woke up a bit too early for my taste to get to the Health Center at 8:45 a.m.

I have to say, the health center looks really nice! It's a fairly new addition to campus, and you can tell that once you're inside. There also wasn't too much paperwork to fill out and hardly any wait before they could see me. The wait between the nurse seeing me and the doctor coming in was also short--much shorter than I've sometimes experienced at the doctor's office at home.

It was really a relief to have this appointment and find out that this issue was relatively minor. Because my heart and lungs seemed fine, and because of details about my symptoms, the doctor determined it was most likely costochondritis--inflammation that'll go away. They sent me away with some Naproxen and encouragement to come back if things get worse.

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment