I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Strange Saturday

My Saturday this past weekend was a bit atypical. It started out strangely, with me waking up around 6:00 a.m., which is much earlier than I wake up on a weekday. It’s practically a scandal for me to wake up this early on a Saturday, since I usually sleep in past noon. I had good reason, though: a service project at 7:00 a.m.  Many of my Alpha Phi Omega brothers were helping with Girls on the Run, a program that trains girls for a 5k while instilling self-confidence and healthy habits. The most bizarre part was looking out the window when I first woke up and seeing it was completely dark!
I was with the group directing traffic on streets where the run was taking place. My partner and I had a huge intersection. Thankfully, the fire police came to direct for us. I mostly tried to encourage the runners and keep them on the sidewalk when those directing traffic did let the cars go. After the events, I stayed around to help with clean-up.
It’s a bit ironic that I was volunteering to help with a 5k when I’ve never ran one and probably would’ve been horrified at the prospect when I was younger!  
A lot of my Saturday was also spent at the mall. My friends Alexis, Lindsey, and I took the free shuttle provided by the Student Government Association. I had to find a dress for my upcoming formal for Alpha Phi Omega, which is this Friday. I was worried I wouldn’t find anything, but I am in love with the dress I found at Maurice’s! It’s black so my Venetian mask will match it; I’m also hoping I’ll be able to find other uses for it, rather than this one-time event. All in all, it was a successful shopping trip.
Saturday became bizarre, again, when I was in my room about to watch a TV show on Netflix. It was about 9:00 p.m., and I was already exhausted. I could only get through the show’s opening! After that, I decided to take a nap—which, of course, being so late in the day, turned into a full 12 hour of sleep. Usually I go to bed much later on Saturday nights, so, despite waking up so early, the day feltl quite short!
Sunday was normal, however, at least in terms of scheduling. It was also very good. I had a great brunch with my friends where we got to have some deep discussion, and I got to have another deeper conversation with a friend later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment