I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Islamophobia

I think lectures are one of the most underrated college experiences. Many times, students, myself included, will groan about a professor requiring them to attend a lecture. Even if we are interested, squeezing something else into our schedules--especially whatever sliver of blissful free time the lecture inevitably interrupts--seems like a major pain. However, I think lectures can be really valuable. Sure, sometimes it's hit-or-miss, whether that lecture really captures my interest, but when it does, I am glad I went.

Yesterday's Islamophobia lecture by American Muslim journalist Stephen Schwartz certainly caught my interest.

Lectures about religion are really interesting to me--especially ones about how people of different religions interact. Interfaith relationships and communication are very important to me. I really appreciated Schwartz's take on what this interfaith interaction should be. He said that he expects people of other faiths to hold to and defend their religions. He also said most Muslims are fine, and expect, people to be critical towards Islam. The problem comes not in criticisms of Islam or religious defense; rather, the problem is when someone slams Islam based on false, fear-based propoganda.

Schwartz described the different facets of Islamopobia as well as its role as an industry. Islamophobes are people who think Islam is neccesarily hateful, evil, and extremist and discount the existence of a moderate Muslim majority. These people tend to think that Islam is a force that must be defeated. He believes Islamophobia is an industry--a shameful one, but one that's almost sensible, in the way that it utilizes the fear that is so abundant, especially during this time of financial crisis. In terms of media coverage, for instance, Muslim extremists are much more grabbing than Muslim moderates.

A quick Google search on Islamophobia shows what a problem it really is. The first four links seem to explain what Islamopobia is. The fifth result promotes Islamophobe as a term of pride for people who  think they're actually in the know about the religion!

Personally, I have to wonder what these Islamophobes think they are accomplishing. There seems to be something to Schwartz's point that Islamophobes thrive off conflict. Particularly interesting was his point that Islamophobes and radical Muslims fuel each other. They're in a relationship where both needs the other to exist--radicals need Islamophobes to point out the evil stance others take toward their religion and encourage action against them, Islamophobes need radicals' extreme actions to justify their fear or vitrol.

I would really have liked people who consider themsleves Islamophobes to hear this lecture. I wonder how they would respond to Schwartz's challenging words--if maybe it would sow a seed of doubt. This makes me ponder an even bigger question then--what would we all be like if we sought out lectures, or more generally, the points of view, that challenge us and oppose us?

No comments:

Post a Comment