I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Alpha Phi Omega Updates

I don’t think I’ve updated this blog recently on my activity with my service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, so I figured I’d bring you up-to-date.

This is the first semester I’ve taken a Little. A Little is someone who is pledging the fraternity that you help through the pledging process. It’s definitely exciting since last semester I was a tiny bit envious of all the other people who had Littles. So far there hasn’t been that much to do as a Big, except decorating a binder filled with all the information she needs for pledging and making her flashcards with the pictures and names of all the other pledges. Bigs and Littles have to meet once a week, and our meeting spot is in Mellon Lounge, a part of Degenstein Campus Center.  Last week we both got Java City, which is a plate to get coffee on campus. Due to me being a bit strange and not liking coffee, I ended up getting apple juice. 

I’ve also become our chapter’s Alumni Secretary. I am working with another member on Alumni Relations to keep alumni informed about what’s going on in our chapter. Hopefully, we’ll also be able to relay information about alumni successes to current members. Maybe we will even have some of them come in to speak!  This was an appointed rather than elected position, and it’s kind of a nice way to get my feet wet, in terms of leadership. I don’t usually classify myself as much of a leader and tend to do things solo, so I think this will be a good experience for me.

The next big service project I’m signed up for with Alpha Phi Omega is the Relay for Life. Last year, I did it with some girls from my freshman residence hall. It’s definitely exhausting, since it goes from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., but it should be worthwhile to do it again! I’m hoping that APO will be able to raise a lot of money. I think we are going to have at least 3 APO teams. Of course, I also hope Susquehanna, as a whole, is able to raise a ton.  Other big projects coming up include 30 Hour Famine and Lutheran Youth Day, both of which I did last year. 30 Hour Famine raises awareness of hunger around the world, as well as money, and Lutheran Youth Day brings a lot of students from Lutheran youth groups to campus for worship and sessions. Both of those were very fulfilling projects next year, and I look forward to doing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment