I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Appreciating My New Major

I’ve mentioned previously how much I’ve been enjoying my classes this semester, but I wanted to talk a bit more about how much I’m enjoying my religion classes. Last semester I bumped up my Religion minor from a Religion major. There was a decent amount of stressing on my part as I debated this decision. I’d be adding more requirements! I needed to be sure I’d get things finished! I didn’t want to majorly overload! And anyway, I’d be studying abroad for a semester! You know—those types of things. But I knew it was something I really wanted to do, and I ended up doing it.
This semester has definitely been confirmed that I made the right choice.
I am enjoying my Intro to Asian Religions class because everything is entirely new to me, so I feel like I’m learning a lot. I had a bit of background on the religions from a World History class in high school, but not an extensive understanding. For example, I know I once learned the caste system. But now I’ve read some of Hinduism’s most important texts, The Bhagavad Gita,  know the different forms of yoga (they don’t all have to do with meditating and stretching; in fact, the most popular form of yoga in India is bhakti, which is all about devotion to a god), and have an elementary understanding of concepts like rta and  dharma. I know the Hindu story behind creation and that the escape from the cycle of the reincarnation, into the Brahman, is called moksha. And this is really just the beginning of the course!
 I appreciate learning about a religion that shapes much of the world and is foreign to me, and I also appreciate its interaction with my faith. Rather than acting as a threat to my own Christian point of view, I think it actually inspires reflection on my faith.  I would love to one day take some comparative theology or comparative religion courses to engage even more heavily in that type of reflection.
My favorite class of the semester, though, is my Luther: Life and Thought course. As someone who, up until freshman year, had never attended a non-Catholic church service, I’m not exactly a Luther expert.  However, I think this contributes to my interest in the Protestant Reformation. Though I probably have more Protestant leanings, I think I have some Catholic sensibilities as well. Because of all these things, I find the divisiveness and lack of understanding that sometimes occurs between Protestants and Catholics really upsetting; I also find the relationship, differences, and history academically intriguing.

Anyway, I am learning a lot about the practices and theology of the Catholic church during Luther's time, as well as information on Luther's life (I'm particularly interested in the fact that he was often, in his early years, in spiritual crisis) and some of the figures in it (like Johann Von Staupitz—a very fun name to say; also, that almost everyone important was named Johann). Probably the most interesting part is learning about some of Luther’s theological concepts, like his ideas on free will (which I think I disagree with) and the state of a Christian as simultaneously saint and sinner.
I am actually enjoying these classes so much that it’s been making me think how I can incorporate my Religion degree into whatever my future career may be. I don’t have anything about that figured out yet, but I do know that I am excited to keep on taking Religion courses and learning more!

No comments:

Post a Comment