I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Preparing for a Semester Abroad

Last month, I was approved for studying abroad a semester in Northern Ireland at the University of Ulster.  Specifically, I’ll be spending my fall there. Though that was definitely exciting, it was only the beginning of a long process. Some of Susquehanna’s study-abroad, or GO (Global Opportunities), options are available directly from our university, such as SU in London: Regent’s College. Others, though, are through outside providers. The program I’m going to attend is through a provider called IFSA-Butler. Because of that, my application journey was not over once I had Susquehanna’s stamp of approval; I also have to apply directly to IFSA-Butler by March 1st.
On Monday, I attended a Q & A session about the application process and learned more about applying, as well as the other steps I have to take before I go abroad. Hearing about these details makes everything seem more real. 
One of the most important things I have to do is get approval for the courses I want to take while abroad. While I’m in Northern Ireland, I hope to take something that can count for one of my Central Curriculum requirements—my Artistic Intensive requirement. I also will probably be taking a course or two for my Creative Writing major. To make sure courses transfer, I need to get approval from department heads. For the Central Curriculum ones, I need approval from the registrar. There are a lot of great courses available at the University of Ulster-Coleraine, where I’ll hopefully attend, including tons of interesting literature courses. The hard thing is that, there, a full course load is only 3 classes. I’ll have to limit myself! Depending on the courses I take, I may be able to leave, after a semester, with a Certificate or Advanced Certificate in Irish Cultural Studies, which would be cool to have.
Another concern is my living situation when I come back to Susquehanna in the spring. Typically, students enter a housing lottery to get the room they want for the next year, but I can’t do that when I’ll be gone first semester. My basic options are to find someone who won’t be here in the spring and switch places with them or to let Residence Life find me somewhere to live. Something I have to consider is whether or not I want to have a single next year. I’d much rather have a single than room with someone I don’t know well or at all. Also, at that point, I will probably have lived in a single for 1.5 years (all of this year, sophomore year, and I think my semester abroad) so it might be a tough adjustment having a roommate again—especially if it’s not the ideal situation. However, singles are also more expensive.
I’m expecting that getting ready to go abroad will get a little stressful at times, but I am convinced it will be more than worth the hassle once I’m actually there!

No comments:

Post a Comment