I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, February 25, 2011

Dorm Storm

As a pledge of Alpha Phi Omega, I need to complete a certain number of service hours.  I gained my first hours in a recent project that was especially fun.  I participated in a "dorm storm", where I helped collect T-shirt and other shirt donations for the One Shirt Campaign, which was ran by the Center for Civic Engagement.   The One Shirt Campaign takes shirts of any quality level--they can be ripped, stained, whatever--and asks specifically for one item from each donor (though people can donate more).  The fibers from these shirts are then recycled into new shirts for the needy. My role, and the role of my two companions, was to hit up three residence halls (we took Hassinger, North Hall, and Seibert) and knock on every door asking for donations.  It was a really good cause, so I’m grateful I was involved for that reason.  Mostly, though, I realized that this kind of service--that leaving my comfort zone--could actually be fun. 

I am not exactly the most boisterous or outgoing person, and approaching strangers generally fills me with dread, but something about the cause or not being alone released me from those fears.   I found myself knocking on the doors of strangers and talking to them about the project.  Me, who always gets uncomfortable about fundraising activities because she doesn’t want to ask people for money!  It was really nerve-wracking when people answered a knock with a “Come in,” because I didn’t want to barge into their room asking for donations when they were expecting a friend.  Yet I went in anyway, despite any feelings of awkwardness.

This experience showed me that I shouldn’t necessarily shy away from doing something just because I’m not sure if I’ll be good at it.  I didn’t think I’d be good at that project, and I actually think I was.  I definitely didn't think I would enjoy it, either, and it ended up being a lot of fun. 

A good reminder to keep my options open! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment