I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Monday, February 21, 2011

Stress!

The life of a college student can get pretty hectic. I knew that was true before, but it's really sinking in now.  Last semester I set a goal of becoming more involved in the Spring--and you could say I'm attaining it.  I'm a pledge of Alpha Phi Omega and am now a reading board member for SU's literary magazine RiverCraft.  Additionally, I still want to stay involved with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, which, for me, might mean attending prayer group on Monday, "life group" or Bible study on Wednesday, and a large worship gathering on Thursday.  Oh yeah, and there's also schoolwork.  And work work.  And friendship.  And life. 

I'm already beginning to worry that I've put a bit too much on my plate, even if I'm not completely consumed by stress just yet.  Rather, I have that weighty sort of sensing-impending-doom type of stress.  I'm not immersed in all these activities yet and am very much at the beginning of some processes, but there's still a worry that I can't juggle everything and I'll have to drop a ball--and if I have to drop a ball, which one?

This all sounds a little dramatic, I'm sure.

And to be fair, I am a bit of a dramatic being.

The truth is, all my issues are typical.  My friends are dealing with similar stress right now and wondering how they'll make things work.  The thing is, a lot of people have made it work before us.  They've done as much, if not more, and made it to the other side.  And some did more than make it.  Some have heaped many things on their plate and excelled.  And sure, others may have been juggling too much and had to set some things aside, but you know what?  They made it too, in their own way.  They did what they needed to do to continue.

It'll be alright.

Being busy, after all, isn't the same as being important.  High GPAs and impressive resumes are nice, but they don't equate to fulfillment or meaning or happiness.  And failing in any aspect that I hope to juggle could be dissapointing, but it wouldn't be earth-shattering. Unless I let it be.     

This upcoming weekend, the Religious Life Council is hosting a Spring Retreat, which means escaping off-campus.  The more stressed I get, the more I am looking forward to this weekend as an opportunity to relax, get away, and be with God and people.  Hopefully it will reinforce the prior paragraph in my mind and heart, and I can carry some calm back with me to SU.

No comments:

Post a Comment