I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, February 4, 2011

An Assorted Kind of Post

Right now I am on the first day of a 3-day Action Assignment for my Applied Biblical Ethics class, which is requiring us to make strides to be more environmentally friendly.  One of my plans is to use my laptop only when absolutely necessary, and in those cases, only run on battery.  As of now, it is shut down and unplugged.  If I do really crave or need computer use, I am trying to rely on the library computer lab.  This will be challenging to me--a verifiable internet addict. A few minutes after midnight, I was thinking, Oh no, what am I going to do?!  My plan is to treat this as a (not very restrictive) electronic fast.  Hopefully I'll be able to make use of that time I'd normally be wasting away online.  Other ideas I have is to limit myself to one plate at the caf (to save water/energy used in cleaning, as well as to prevent food waste) and to one napkin during meals.  I've also unplugged my cell phone charger and clock--after all, I have a cell phone!  It'll be interesting to see what challenges, as well as blessings, arise during this 3-day assignment.

In other news, I'm looking forward to SU's upcoming Undergraduate Literature and Creative Writing Conference.  For my Intro to Fiction class last semester, we were required to submit a proposal to the conference. I sent one for one of my short stories "Routine," which I described in that proposal as: "told through various Halloweens, [it] reveals the love and lack of love between Belinda, a repressed librarian and bookstore worker, and Cyrus, a photographer with wanderlust and big aspirations. As their married life progresses, it becomes clear that he prioritizes creativity over her."  I've been placed into the Literature & Gender panel.  When it's my turn, I'll read a portion of my story and audience members will be able to ask me questions.  This has definitely made me a bit nervous.  As I do some further editing of the piece, both for the conference and so I can submit to SU's literary magazine RiverCraft, I'll definitely be thinking about what it might have to say about gender.  Speaking of which, I also plan to submit an application to the magazine's reading board!

I have a lot of other things going on as well.  A friend from home is visiting me tonight.  I'm going to the InterVarsity Superbowl party on Sunday.  This weekend I need to work on my memoir so I can send it to Dr. Retief for my conference on Monday.  Also coming up, I plan to rush Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity on campus.  There are also a lot of events I'll be attending soon, like InterVarsity's Dig-In which is like a mini-retreat, hosted this year by SU, and Religious Life Council's Retreat.

Surely all of this will add up to good blogging inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment