I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, April 1, 2011

Contemplating the Future--Grad School

I’ve always been the type to think ahead.  I remember researching colleges when I was in middle school.  It’s no wonder, then, that since I’ve been thinking about librarianship as a possible career, I’ve been doing some research into grad school.

If I do choose to go ahead on this career path of librarianship, I will have to get my Master of Library Science degree eventually, but I do not necessarily have to enter grad school immediately following graduation from Susquehanna.   In fact, it might be better to wait for a few years and get experience in a library before embarking on a Master’s.  That is probably the safer way, as well, since I could ensure my interest in librarianship and not end up getting a degree that I won’t put to use or won’t enjoy putting to use. 

There’s also the question of residential or online.  If I choose to wait to go to grad school, I may end up doing my degree online instead of in-person.  That way I could continue with my job and wouldn’t have to relocate my family if I had one, which, wow, isn’t that a weird thought?  Thinking of the future, though I do it often, can still boggle the mind a little. 

Another reason grad school is a concern is money.  Though I have a great merit scholarship at Susquehanna, I still am going to have a hefty amount of student loans upon graduation.  I don’t want to plunge myself even further into debt—even if grad school works as a way to defer loan payments.  The only way I could see grad school working for me is if I have substantial financial aid.  I know that some grad schools offer fellowships or assistantships that cover full tuition. 

As of right now, I am pretty uninformed and undecided on the issue of grad school, which I think is okay for the point I’m at in my education.  However, I definitely want to get myself more informed.  Susquehanna, like many colleges, offers a Center for Career Services that I very soon want to use to my advantage.  They offer one-on-one advising about careers and graduate school.  This is something my tuition is going towards, and I would be a waste not to utilize this resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment