I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, April 15, 2011

Officially A Brother!

I’ve finally been initiated into Alpha Phi Omega, which is, if you haven’t been keeping up, a national, coed service fraternity.  Our initiation was late Wednesday night, and it marked me, officially, as a “brother.” 
Me and some other newly initiated brothers

One of the most exciting things was being able to exchange gifts with my Big Sarah afterwards.  I got my Big a shirt with APO letters on it—I actually made those letters and liked them, surprisingly enough, considering my usual crafty failure—and a paddle with my name and hers, APO, my pledge class, etc.  I also got her a little stuffed hippo because we’re members of the Hippo Family (APO has many animal-themed families, including penguins, frogs, lions, etc.) and wrote her a poem.  She gave me my first set of letters which I was so pumped to wear yesterday.  She also got me a really awesome Hippo Pillow Pet which I named Hagrid.  I used it as a pillow last night.  So soft and comfortable!  Her paddle for me is very cute, and I’m still trying to decide where it should stay in my room.

Of course, things aren’t the most important part of being initiated.  I’m very excited to be fully part of a group that is filled with such cool, admirable people and that does so many great things on campus and in the community.  I hope a lot of friendships stem and flourish from APO, as well as characteristics in myself, like leadership and positivity and service.

Speaking of organizations that mean a lot to me, last night, Thursday, I went to the second to last InterVarsity large group meeting of the year, which is pretty sad. It’s been such a blessing and such a big, shaping influence on my freshman year.  I think I even attended the first IV meeting of the  year, so it’s been a pretty significant constant.  I will miss this fellowship so much over the summer!  It’ll be so strange to come back next year, with the seniors gone and a group of unfamiliar freshmen.  No longer being the youngest just seems freaky. I'm sure, though, that IV has a great year in store next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment