I'm Megan, a senior at Susquehanna University. My hope is that this blog will cover my four years here, from the firsts to the lasts.

"
In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that." - Mary Oliver

Friday, April 8, 2011

Tales of Tomorrow (and a bit of today...)

Again, another busy weekend is in the works.  Tomorrow is Lutheran Youth Day, a day in which middle and high school students come to Susquehanna's campus to worship, study the Bible, and this year, hear a concert from musician Rachel Kurtz.  I've volunteered to be a small group leader for that day.  SU students comprise the majority of the small group leaders (though I think some alumni are coming to help), and the event itself is organized by SU's Deacon of Service, who's a senior here.  I am really pumped for this experience, even if it means waking up early on a Saturday, because it'll be so new to me.  The last time I led a Bible study on a semi-regular basis was middle school!  And I've never really been in this position of guiding a group of people who are younger than I am.  While this adds to the excitement, it's also a relief that this new experience is not something I'm doing alone; each person has a co-leader working with them.

Also on Saturday is Air Band, which is one of the culminating events of Greek Week, during which the Greek organizations compete against each other.  In Air Band, each fraternity or sorority has members perform to a song.  This involves lip-syncing, dancing, costumes, and sets.  As a pledge (and a soon-to-be brother!), I'll be there to support Alpha Phi Omega.  Watching Greek Week thus far has been a somewhat strange experience.  It is very intense and competitive.  I will admit to not understanding Greek Week as clearly as I should--like, um, what does the winner get again?--but I do understand that I am very excited to be a part of Alpha Phi Omega.  It will be great if, during this week, at least a few more people gained respect for or even knowledge of this awesome service fraternity.

I've been focused so much on weekends on this blog--that's where the excitement's at!--but as for today, I'm very excited to only have one class at 3 p.m.  My Intro to Nonfiction course isn't meeting today because the professor is having conferences with students about their literary journalism pieces.  Speaking of which, I've already had my conference and blech, I have so much to rewrite!  Later on I have a meeting about my group project for Applied Biblical Ethics, which will end in a 25-30 minute presentation on an ethical dilemma.  Our ethical dilemma regards female circumcision and how we as Americans, as Christians, etc., should involve ourselves (or not involve ourselves) in changing or ending this practice.  Usually I'm hesitant about group projects, but my group is really great, and I think our presentation has the potential to be really informative.     

No comments:

Post a Comment